The holidays are upon us, with all the feasting that entails. How is anyone supposed to maintain a healthy diet, when the dishes of the season are so tempting and rich? One solution that works if you’re hosting a party, contributing to a pot luck, or just trying to feed your family during this hectic season, is to prepare dishes yourself. When you make your own food, you know exactly what went into it, which gives you control over the calories, carbs, and fat so overabundant in many holiday dishes. With these healthy recipes, you’ll be prepared no matter what the occasion!
- Appetizers with appeal: Make any party more elegant with Eggplant Ricotta Bites, Vegetarian Spinach Walnut Pate, or Vegan Potato, Pepper, and Olive Phyllo Cups. Serving more of a dip crowd? Lighten up the usual fare by serving raw veggies instead of chips, and try this easy Hummus recipe or this Avocado Feta Dip.
- Show-stopping main dishes: Instead of salty, fatty ham, or bird stuffed with bread, impress your guests with this delicious Mushroom Stuffed Pork Tenderloin. A more traditional holiday feast may warrant these Roasted Cornish Game Hens with Pumpkin Seed Pesto, and if you have vegetarians in your crowd you really should try this Mushroom Wellington with Creamy Carrot Sauce.
- Succulent Sides: Fill your plate with vegetables that you’ll want to keep eating, like Eggplant Caponata, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Hazelnuts, or this Warm Spinach Salad. For comfort food with a lighter spin, try Curried Sweet Potato Purée, Vegetarian Southern Style Collard Greens, Light Scalloped Potatoes with Roasted Chiles, or this Whole Grain Apple Cranberry Stuffing.
- Sweet Treats: Healthy eating doesn’t have to mean you never get a treat! Craving chocolate? Lighten up your Chocolate Chip Cookies with this recipe, or try a Chocolate Truffle Cheesecake so decadent you won’t believe it’s low fat. If you’re into a lighter dessert, consider this Ginger Angel Food Cake or these Almond Snowballs. Want to steer clear of sugar and flour? Make your Winter Fruit Salad unique and interesting with ingredients like ginger, kumquats, vanilla bean and pomegranate seeds. Looking for something a little more sophisticated? This Mulled Wine Granita fits the bill!
- Everyday meals: The party’s got to be over sometime, right? On those ordinary nights, make dinner at home special, with recipes like Roasted Pork and Potatoes with Creamy Applesauce. Craving pasta? This Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese is healthy, delicious, and vegetarian.
While you’re eating healthy food, why not up your exercise game with some new equipment from Push Pedal Pull? Local exercise experts since 1985, we provide fitness equipment for both residential and commercial customers. We’re one of the largest fitness equipment dealers in the country, and the only one in the region to provide in-house sales, service, delivery and installation. We don’t just sell fitness equipment- you can trust us to provide service and support long after the equipment is delivered. Visit one of our convenient locations to see all that we have to offer, or call us at 1.844.574.0270.